Wednesday 13 January 2010

To Eat Meat Or Not To Eat Meat

Enough Already! I have just read another article that says we actually evolved into carnivores. If evolution is true, we were probably more physically akin to carnivores earlier on during our evolution than later on. The bottom line is humans are capable of, and designed for, an omnivorous diet. There is scientific evidence for both sides – carnivore & herbivore. Which makes us omnivores. Which in turn means we are more than capable of surviving on various diets. It is not about eating meat or not eating meat. It is about eating a clean, healthy, balanced diet that provides us with all the nutrients that we need.

I have chosen a vegetarian diet, and I do very well on it. I have my reasons for being a vegetarian, and if you would like to know them, just ask me. My diet is not lacking in any nutrients, protein, vitamins, minerals... I get everything I need from a vegetarian diet. If you think that isn't possible, just look up famous vegetarians or vegans. You will find world class athletes, bodybuilders, cage fighters and strength coaches.

I cannot stand it when vegetarians are portrayed as skinny, weak and malnourished. Sure, there are vegetarians out there that are, but they are not following a good, balanced diet. Have you noticed how many meat-eaters are fat, weak and malnourished? Just because your diet includes or excludes certain foods doesn't mean either is a good, healthy diet. Both diets can be good, or bad.

I follow a vegetarian diet. For those of you who remain unconvinced that a vegetarian diet can be healthy and provide everything an athlete requires, I challenge you to come on down and join me for a workout. So far everyone who challenges my diet hasn't even come close to challenging me physically.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm an omnivoire, which is how we actually evolved, but admittedly my few vegitarian friends appear to be in better condition though sometimes even older than I am.

It's a shame cheeseburgers are so fast and cheap but quality food seems to cost more

Rick
http://martialarts808.com/index.php/topic,152.msg191.html#msg191

Alex said...

Sometimes good quality fresh food is expensive, so we need to be realistic about our choices. However we sometimes allow ourselves to think something is cheaper when it is just more convenient. We are secretly happy to pay a little extra for "fast food". But then again, to get the good stuff at good prices you may need to buy from different places, which costs in time & petrol. Find the best balance that suits your lifestyle, but remember: if you aren't getting the results you want, you need to do more. Cheesburgers won't really help your health in the long run. Spending more on good quality healthy food is a wise investment.